Monday, November 7, 2011

To Pacify or not to Pacify

When you decide to have children, are expecting or already have them, you have thoughts, opinions, decisions to make on what you're going to do or not do with your children. Whether it's to breastfeed, use cloth diapers, make your own baby food, not allow your children to sleep in your bed, or never use your wet finger to wipe your child's face, we hope to follow through with the decisions we make.  Of those listed, we've managed to stick to them. Well, I may have used a wet finger to clean my child's face in a pinch. (Don't tell Andrew).

Another decision we made was to not use a pacifier. Both my husband and I didn't want our children using pacifiers. We didn't like seeing kids with a pacifier in their mouths, especially older kids. We thought, we don't need a pacifier.

When Charlotte was born, I breastfed. I found after a month or so, I seemed to be constantly feeding her as when she cried she'd cry as if the world was ending.  She wasn't tired, she wasn't wet, so she must be hungry right? But I had just fed her a little bit before, could she be hungry again? We decided then that maybe she was just looking for something to suck. Not wanting to be a human pacifier, we decided to try a pacifier. Every time I put it in her mouth I hated it. I felt I needed to justify it to everyone. In the nighttime, we'd use it to help her  get to sleep. Once she was asleep, I'd take it out. I didn't want her getting used to it.

Within a week or two of us using it, she started to spit it out. She didn't want it. What a relief. But then, she found her thumb. And never lost it. Charlotte sucks her thumb now, especially when she's upset. She's an emotional sucker.

When Harrison was born, we again didn't want to use the pacifier. We got away with it for awhile but then the same thing happened. He always seemed to be hungry when I really didn't think he was. I found I was feeding him more than I should be and he often fell asleep or spit up the liquid gold soon after feeding. While a little spit up is normal, I think it's often a sign that he's full and has eaten too much. Of course, if you have food shoved in your mouth constantly, you'll eventually spit it up too.

So, we bought a pacifier. It worked. Harrison started to settle a little easier and I wasn't being used as a human pacifier. He too seems to be an emotional sucker. When he gets upset, or is over tired, the sucking action calms him down and off he goes. Do I like using it? No, but it does make life a hell of a lot easier. Especially when you also have a three year old vying for your attention.

So, we use the pacifier to help him get to sleep but I do still take it away once he is. We have, however, started to put it in his mouth when he wakes in the night or during a nap. It helps him sleep longer. He wakes once in the night and I feed him. A couple of weeks ago, I found that he was waking about 4pm and not really feeding for very long. I wondered if he really needed it as he had gone all night once or twice. So, I started leaving him a little and if he really started to cry, I put the pacifier in his mouth. I felt guilty doing it at first. But it worked. He slept all the way through. Now, this week, we're back to feeding when he wakes up. Growing spurt I believe. The pacifier isn't pacifying him. So, I'll continue to feed until he starts to sleep through the night again or I'll use the pacifier if necessary. Of course, every week, every day even is different, so who knows.

So, while I still sometimes have to justify the pacifier to myself, I know I'm doing what is best for Harrison and that's all that matters. He's happier and sleeps better which means we're all sleeping better.  I don't worry (or try not to worry) about what others think when they see him with a pacifier in his mouth. I just know it means he's not crying so we're all happy. And when we don't think he needs it anymore, we can throw it out. Unlike a thumb.

A Happy Harrison 

4 comments:

  1. A gorgeous photo of gorgeous Harrison :) I think you make a great point about the pacifier here - as you know we didn't use them with the twins and I was determined not to - my sisters never used them so I don't really know how they help or not as not experienced them.... but I think a lot of it is down to public perception, pressure and what we think others will think of us. If using a pacifier works for you and the whole family then use it - it's not as if we're going to see a 5 year old Harrison running round with a pacifier in one hand and a baby bottle full of coke in the other...you may laugh but I have seen that with my own eyes in sunny Sittingbourne!!!! I think as mothers we put ourselves under so much pressure that is unnecessary. I beat myself up so much because I just couldn't carry on breast feeding the twins like I had wanted to, I still beat myself up when I see working moms who still manage to bake and do amazing art projects with their kids, I think if they can do that why am I not doing it? Are my kids missing out? I subject myself to mother's guilt. At the end of the day, we're doing the best we can for our kids and we should stop worrying about what other people think of our parenting skills and ideas ... easier said than done though right?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mel. You're absolutely right. We do strive to be the super mom and feel so guilty when we don't feel we are. The thing is, our kids aren't suffering. They are very happy children who will one day be great adults. It's just hard remembering that sometimes when you're in the present trying to make the best decisions for your kids. You're boys are awesome and they have an awesome Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well as an older mum I would like to add that we didn't use one but Phil sucked his thumb and as you quite rightly said you can't take it away and he still sucked when he was twenty one as I caught him haha! ( sorry Phil secret is out! )if Harrison needs it let him have it when he sleeps, am sure he won't still be needing it when he is an adult :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer I had forgotten that you were setting up a blog and I did not read it until today, but I can assure you one of my daily pleasures will be to read your blog. It is so beautifully written. You are such a special person with a beautiful mind and you express it so well.

    Don't worry about using a pacifier, if it works for your children that is the main thing. I remember when you were born and your dad did not want me to use a pacifier and not wanting to go against his wishes I decided I would not use the one I had bought "just in case". I remember I would sneak it in your mouth and stand there ready to pull it out should he come round the corner. I felt so guilty.

    The Baptismal on Sunday was just so beautiful and special. It would be nice to take the children to church, to be part of the christian community at least until they are old enough to make up their own minds about going, but at least you are planting that seed in them now. They will have had that experience. At the end of the day when all else fails, we will always have God.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete