Sunday, November 13, 2011

Harrison's Christening


Today we celebrated Harrison's Christening. Joined by family and friends, we had a lovely service followed by a get together where Harrison was showered with love.

Harrison was wonderful. He hardly made a peep during the service and then had a cuddle with everyone while all the time was full of smiles. (Except when we made him put the dress on again!) I felt very proud of both him and Charlotte today and appreciated so much the time spent with all our family.

I found today very special in so many ways. I was raised a Catholic and attended church weekly growing up, but once I became an adult and moved away from home that changed. It's not that I don't believe in God, or in something greater than us, it's just that I guess I don't feel I get a lot out of going to church. Part of it is that I don't agree with all the rules of the church.  I find it difficult listening to the sermons when I don't necessarily agree. I guess it's a matter of listening and making your own decisions as to what you get out of it. I see God all around me, when I look at my children every day, on a beautiful sunny fall morning, on a crisp clear night when the moon is full. I feel that you don't have to go to church to be religious or believe in something greater. But, as I sat in church this morning, I found myself for the first time in a long time considering going more regularly. Part of it is for my children. To give them the chance to make up their own minds as my parents did. The other part is for me, to continue my growth as a person and a parent. Hopefully as we all grow, so will the church in it's beliefs.

Getting Charlotte and Harrison baptized was the beginning of their journey to self discovery and a continuation of mine. I can only give them the start that my parents gave me and hope that whatever path they choose in life they will be happy and healthy.

Fruit Cake & Cupcakes. My first attempt at a fondant decorated cake.

Our wonderful family 
My two beautiful children. 

Harrison and his God Parents, Mel and Uncle Darrell


Big Sis and Baby Bro

After all day, Harrison let me put the dress on one more time to get a couple of more pictures

Last but not least


No comments:

Post a Comment