Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Fruit Cake - You either Love it or Hate it.

Fruit cake. These two words make a lot of people stop in their tracks as if they've been hit by one. Especially around Christmas time. Not everyone is a lover of this fruity cake. Cups and cups of raisins, currants, cherries, mixed fruit, that's a lot of dried fruit for anyone. When it's combined with spices and flour and turns out dry, then the only thing it's any good for is keeping your stocking atop the mantle on Christmas Eve. Well, stop here folks. I make a mean fruit cake if I do say so myself. I do have practice though, because my husband Love, love LOVES fruit cake. Not only do we have it at Christmas time, but, believe it or not, it's also his birthday cake. To say my husband is a fruit cake connoisseur is a little bit of a stretch, but he is particular and gives this one two thumbs up.

So, when Harrison's Christening approached, and it was time to bake his cake, what else would it be if not fruit? I took the opportunity to make two smaller cakes instead of 1 large one so that we'd have one for Christmas. That's one less thing I have to to bake in a couple of weeks. My Mom on Sunday made the very good suggestion that we put the rest of the cake away for Christmas. HA! HA! HA! Keeping fruit cake away from my husband, and alas it seems Charlotte, is like, well, trying to keep chocolate from me!

Below is the recipe I use. This is my Nan's recipe. Mom always made it growing up so yes, I too like fruit cake. At Christmas.

Nan's Boiled Dark Fruit Cake

1lb currants
1 lb seedless raisins
1 cup mixed fruit
1 cup red cherries
1 cup nuts (optional)
1/4 cup rum
2 1/4 cups warm water
2 1/4 cups white sugar
1 lb margarine
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
3 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
3 eggs

Measure fruit, rum, water, sugar, butter, spices and salt into a large pot. Bring to a boil. Stir often and boil for a couple of minutes. Cool.
Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and stir into cooled mixture. Stir in eggs and mix until well blended. Batter will be quite wet.

Line pan with greased wax paper. Pour batter into pans. Bake at 275 for 3 1/2 hours for a large cake, 2 1/2 hours for smaller cakes. Let cool. Wrap well and store in cool place.

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Going to try the cake today! I will let you know how it turns out... wish me luck !

    Holly

    ReplyDelete