Thursday, November 3, 2011

My Brave Little Girl

Children are amazing. They are loving, thoughtful, resilient, innocent, funny, carefree and so much more. But most of all, they are brave.

I received a call from Charlotte's daycare this afternoon saying she was stomach sick. When I dropped her off this morning she was more clingy than usual, but I took that to be because she wanted to stay home with me, not because she was sick.

When I picked her up, she was a happy as any other day. More so if that was possible. If I didn't know the difference I would have thought she was fine. She didn't complain or grumble, instead she was cooperative and talkative, asking what we were going to do now. I told her we'd go home and she could lie on the couch and watch some TV. I got her a blanket and a pillow and put a bucket by the sofa. I told her that if she felt that feeling in her tummy again, she could throw up in the bucket if she couldn't get to the toilet in time.

Charlotte fell asleep on the couch and about an hour later awoke saying she was hungry. I told her she shouldn't have anything but she said she was very hungry. So, I gave her a piece of toast. and told her to eat it slowly. After each piece she asked me if she could have another piece. About an hour or so later I asked her how she felt and she said she felt a little sick. I told her I was going to go downstairs for a couple of minutes and that if she needed me to call. While down there I heard her get up and by the time I got upstairs she had thrown up... in the bucket. After she was all clean, she declared she felt a lot better and she was hungry. It was as if nothing had happened.

I was absolutely amazed that a little three year old, throwing up for only the second time in her short life would use the bucket instead of just throwing up where she sat. Yes, I gave her the bucket, but I didn't expect her to use it.  I was amazed at how brave she was, throwing up and then just going back to the couch and asking for something to eat. I can tell you, I wouldn't have been able to do the same thing. I am terrified of being stomach sick. Always have been. I would have someone hold my hand if I could. But Charlotte, as I stood by her holding her hair back, she was as calm as a cucumber. It's so hard to see your child being sick and knowing there isn't anything you can do but be there for them. My brave little girl.

Children can handle things amazingly well. While they may be afraid of monsters or the dark, they are able to handle difficult situations often better than adults and for that I applaud them.

Charlotte is now tucked in bed, with a bucket next to her bed. Thankfully, I think the worst is over and she's told me she'd like porridge and toast for breakfast in the morning.

A carefree day at Nana's

No comments:

Post a Comment