Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Valentine's Wreath

I'm trying to get my creative juices flowing again. Before Charlotte, I did a lot of different type of crafts. I made all my cards and even dabbled in a little wood working (with the help of my Dad). Well, I decided that I'd start exploring my creative side in 2012. I thought it would be a great way for me to express myself and be a bit of fun for me, myself and I. I've been looking at a number of sites, looking for ideas and inspiration. 


I found my inspiration for my Valentine's Wreath through Pinterest. I actually pinned something else Kierste from Brown Paper Packages made, but upon exploring her site, I decided to follow her and a couple of weeks later she posted this wreath.
My inspiration a canvas drop cloth wreath
 I thought this was a cute wreath and it got me thinking about a Christmas wreath I made a LONG, LONG, LONG time ago. I was actually living at home when I made it. The wreath was made out of strips of green garbage bags and a wire coat hanger. May sound unusual, but it was quite nice when it was done.


One of my other goals on my path to creativity is to do things as inexpensively as possible. So, I decided to make a wreath based on that Christmas wreath I made years ago. It turned out pretty good. The only downside is that it's very light and well, we live on a hill, so I think it'll be an inside wreath. I may try Kierste's version as well. I'll keep you posted.


Here's what I did.


Rather than purchasing a floral wire wreath, I used a wire hanger. My original plan was to use two and wedge material between them to get the space like a wire wreath. Half way through however, it was evident this wasn't working so I adjusted and used just one hanger. 
Plans changed half way through, but these are the materials I started with.


Cut white garbage bags into 6" strips and tie them around the hanger. Continue until the entire circle is tightly covered. 
Half way through. A little trimming may be necessary once the wreath is done.


Then, add your bow and any other embellishments you'd like.
The finished product on the front door. It won't be staying there though. It's now inside. It was really windy out today.

So, there you have it. My first DIY/Craft project for 2012. I'm pretty pleased with it. The bow can be changed out to reflect the different seasons and holidays. Even a set of red or clear LED lights would be nice. That would also add some weight for those windy days. Hmmmm, there's a thought.

2 comments:

  1. Love this!! What a great project. I have no added valentines wreath to my list of things to do. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful Jennifer. I remember those Christmas wreaths you made many years ago and used them for years. I just may try and make one of your Valentine Wreaths. It is quite attractive. My friend, Angela Norma in England reads your blog, finds it very interesting and I think she will like your latest project.

    ReplyDelete