Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Motivation - the key to exercise

They say misery loves company. Well, so do I. Company that is, especially when it's exercising. I try to exercise everyday. I recently purchased a treadmill in an attempt to make that easier. With two kids (one 5 months old) it's a little difficult to get out everyday and get a good workout. Especially in the winter. So, I do my best to motivate myself to find the time everyday to get a run in on the treadmill. I have to admit. Once I've finished my workout, experienced the pain, I feel great. It's just getting in the mood to do it.


There's nothing better than having someone else experiencing the same pain that you're experiencing at that exact moment. I know it's selfish, but it's also motivation. When you have someone else depending on you to exercise with, you have that motivation. You are that motivation. You have the motivation to get your butt off the couch and out into the cold winter's night to work that very butt off like nothing else. 


Tonight, I had that motivation, My friend Mel and I went to our first (of many) deep water fitness class together. Sure, it would have been very easy to say nah, not tonight. It did cross my mind, but I'm glad I didn't. Yes, I got a workout tonight. I huffed and puffed, spluttered and splashed, but boy, do I feel good now. Well, I do ache, and I'm gonna feel it tomorrow even more, but it was worth it. 


I'm also looking forward to next week. We're going to try and go every week and once we're into the swing, we may even up it to two classes a week. For now though, we'll take it nice and slow. Except for when we're in the water and then it's GO, GO, GO!!!


So, thank you Mel for motivating me to get my butt off the couch. Just think how hot we'll look this summer!
Mel and I looking pretty darn good in December. Wait until our summer pic!

3 comments:

  1. I hear ya! I'm actually planning to join in on a the running room open Sunday morning runs for my half marathon training, just for the company. Going solo just doesn't fly for me once I have to go over 5-6km! If you ever want to join in or go for a joint weekend run, lemme know ... but know I'm slow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Jennifer. I was motivated today as well, brought on by old man winter and shovelled snow for three hours finished up about 7 p.m. It was a beautiful evening, a winter wonderland really out here in the "country", got lots of exercise and I thoroughly enjoyed it, just me. myself and I.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And little did I know just how much hard work it was going to be but strangely enough looking forward to next week....I think....in an odd sadistic kind of way ;)

    ReplyDelete