Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Snowman painting

"What are we going to do now Mommy"? I hear that a lot these days. Especially on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. As one of my promises for 2012 was to spend more quality time with the kids, I've been trying to think of different projects to do with Charlotte. Sure, she can paint, colour, play with playdough, play with her toys, read, go to the park and much more, but I wanted to find some different things to do with her that she wouldn't do every day. I've been searching the website for some different ideas for us to do each week and have found a number of them including some Valentines Day ones we'll be doing in a couple of weeks. 


One of Charlotte's favourite things to do is colour and paint. We've done a couple of painting projects over the past week or so for some recent birthdays that I'll soon share, but today I thought we'd try a craft I found on the Michaels website yesterday. It is a painting project that I knew she'd love to do. I told her last night we'd be doing a snowman craft today and it was the first thing she mentioned this morning. Needless to say, we got at this one right after breakfast.


The interesting thing about this snowman painting is the technique of how the snowman is painted. With feet. When I saw this I thought... how could a three-year old not enjoy this?


Here's how we got our pictures. As it was just the three of us, I couldn't get pictures of the actual feet on the paper, but we'll try that another time. 
Getting ready to paint!

First, you paint the blue sky and let it dry. I helped Harrison with his.

Next, you paint the feet and step onto the paper.

Harrison wanted to get in on the fun too!
Then you paint the snow, hat, eyes, nose, mouth, scarf and buttons. 
The finished pictures. The one on the right has one of each of Harrison's and Charlotte's feet. I meant to have Harrison's toes equal
with Charlotte's but totally forgot when it came time to put the squirming foot on the page! Hence the mountain of snow :)



2 comments:

  1. What a great idea Jennifer. I just love the pictures. Harrison looks quite proud of himself! Great quality time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea, I want a go! Reminds me of something on an art programme in the UK, called...errrrr....Smarteenies, they did lots with different parts of their fingers and hands. I agree with Ann, fab pic's too. I could eat your kids, they're SO gorgeous!
    M xxxx

    ReplyDelete