Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Life's simple things

As we get further into this holiday season, it is easy to get caught up in all the preparation and one may tend to start to worry. Am I getting the right gift for that special person, will my child be happy with what I have bought, did I buy enough, did I buy too much? Have I made enough cookies, did I make too many? How are we going to fit everything in? Am I going to have any time just to relax....... what's relax?


I was reminded once again last night what is important. I was meeting a friend for coffee and was leaving before Charlotte was in bed. Charlotte is going through a stage at the moment where Mommy has to be involved in pretty much everything. Andrew and I are working on it, and it is getting better as evident last night. We find, as long as we prepare Charlotte for a change in her usual bedtime schedule she's Ok. So, yesterday, on the way home from school, I told Charlotte I was going out for coffee with a friend. We chatted about that for awhile and I told her that Daddy would be putting her to bed and that I wanted her to be a good girl. She seemed to take that information in stride (with the help of an oreo cookie).


After supper she and Harrison had a bath and she was then allowed to watch one Micky Mouse Clubhouse before bed. While she was doing so, Harrison was fed and put to bed. It was then time for me to leave. I told her I'd see her in the morning and that I loved her. She said her good byes and off I went.


As I was getting in the car I noticed that Charlotte was in the window. I went up to say goodbye and caught her by surprise (she was twirling in the curtains). I banged on the window and well, did she ever jump. But then, the biggest smile came on her face and she waved and blew me a kiss. I so wish I had a camera to get that picture but I took a mental one and will remember it forever.


A feeling of contentment came over me that warmed my heart. I realized, at that moment, that there was nothing to worry about because I had everything I needed in that house. Everything else is just stuff. Whatever I get people for Christmas will be appreciated. Whatever I bake will be eaten at some point. If I need more, then Sobeys is just down the road. If I don't get to see someone over Christmas, there's another full year ahead for visits. The most important thing is to enjoy this Christmas with the ones I love. It's our first with Harrison and the first that Charlotte will really remember. That's what's important. We've dedicated days to see close family and friends and well, everything else will happen as it happens. No worrying here, I've got it all.


Take time this busy holiday season to appreciate all that you have already. Anything else you get is a wonderful bonus.






One of my favourite pictures of Charlotte with our dog Paks. Paks died just over a year ago.
Charlotte doesn't really remember her but when she does mention her she calls her "her friend Paks"

No comments:

Post a Comment