Saturday, December 3, 2011

A day to myself

Today, for the first time in three and a half months, I had a day to myself. My Mom is having the kids overnight and VERY kindly said I could drop them out early so I could have the day to do whatever. Well, how early could I drop them off I wondered.... try 8:30! Yup, after dropping Andrew at work, we headed out to Topsail and we were there just after 8:30. By 9:15 I was on the road again, to do whatever I wanted.

What did I do? Well, I shopped of course, Santa can't do it all. He has other children to look after so I thought I'd help him out. There were a lot of other mommies and daddies thinking the same thing at 9:30 in the morning. Toys R Us was packed to say the least. But, after an hour or so, I think I have everything on the list (except one thing for Harrison I just can't find) and hopefully that was my last trip there before Christmas. Hopefully.

It was then onto Dominion for their tax free day. Got some more things crossed off my list. Yes!

12pm. What to do? I called up Andrew to see if he wanted to go for an impromptu lunch., which we did. Very nice indeed! After lunch I headed home for an intended little nap (Harrison was a restless little boy last night) and then intentions on a quick tidy of the house (hard not to do something), a little exercise and a shower before picking up Andrew and coming home to get ready for a night out on the town with good friends (Happy Birthday Mel).

When I got home, I thought I'd give my sister who lives in Ontario a quick call to see what to get my nephews for Christmas. She's off on Fridays with the boys at home. Not being a lover of the phone, I figured I'd still get my nap in, a little exercise regime, tidy and shower before having to pick up Andrew. It was only 1pm after all. Two and a half hours later we said good bye. Two and a half hours! Where did the time go? Well, as I'm not one for chatting I don't know. We chatted about the kids, Christmas, family, each other, shared guilt about said kids (for a future blog) and everything else in between. It was a wonderful way to spend two and a half hours. Something we don't do often and certainly not enough. For me, it was something I rarely do.... not only talk on the phone, but do nothing else while doing so. Me, I'm a multi-tasker and will normally do other things while talking on the phone, but doing nothing, for two hours, well, that's foreign to me, but was just as good as a nap. Once I got off the phone, I quickly did some bits and pieces before a shower and off to get Andrew. I realized all the things I could have been doing while on the phone (which is my usual thing to do), but also realized had I done so, I wouldn't have been as rested as I was. I realized that while I sat there the world didn't stop and maybe I should do that more often. Just sit and relax.


My nephews Ryan and Kyle with Charlotte and Harrison when they were home in August

Tonight we went out to dinner to celebrate Mel's 40th birthday with Mel, Andrew's Dad and Mel's sister Row who is visiting from England. We chatted about lots of things, and it was lovely being out without the kids and not having to worry about getting home. We went to Magnum and Steins and had a wonderful meal. Afterwards, we went to The Fat Cat where The Monday Nights were supposed to be playing. We obviously got there while they were either on a break or hadn't yet started (around 11:30) and instead listened to "The Box". While these three ladies were talented, we found their music and songs very similar to each other and left within the hour. It was time to go home anyway as we have to pick up the kiddies early in the AM.

Being home now, the house is quiet. Too quiet. There are two people missing. No matter how much I enjoy having time on my own, and no matter how much I often wish I could have more, at the end of the day, the best days are the ones I spend with the kids and Andrew.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanks Mom, for letting me have a relaxing day, but also realizing what I miss so much.... my kids. xo




2 comments:

  1. Jennifer, I do enjoy your blogs. This one reminds me so much of your Mom and multi-tasking.One of my fondest memories - it was in the days before cordless phones. She had a cord on her phone that I am sure would enable her to go anywhere in the house while talking on it - which she did. Of course the base of the phone would not stay on the table where it was supposed to be. It would fall on the floor and she would be doing her multi-tasking and kicking the base of the phone in front of her wherever she needed to go. Ask her if she remembers that. Oh!!! the memories

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, as I read your blog today, it sure took me back in time and I could not help but think of myself and how I used to multitask and then I read Marge's comment and I just had to laugh. Yes Marge I do remember that phone and that cord, which although it was long to begin with, was even longer after I had stretched it around the house kicking the phone as I went. That did bring back such memories Marge! You are right Jennifer as you sat there, the world did not stop. Try doing that more often, just sit and relax. I wish I had learned that years ago.

    ReplyDelete