Thursday, April 5, 2012

Hot Cross Buns

I LOVE traditions. Easter for me holds many traditions. When I was younger we had our family traditions that we did every year. Going to church, decorating eggs, putting out our Easter baskets for the Easter bunny, having the Easter egg hunt in the morning and of course getting together with family for an Easter dinner. 


Now that I have my own family, we're starting our own Easter traditions. Many of which we did when I was younger. This year Charlotte is old enough to understand more about the Easter bunny. We've also explained to her about the religious aspect of Easter but that's going to take a little more explaining for her to fully understand. 


Every Good Friday, I make Hot Cross buns. It's become one of the traditions. This Good Friday morning, I'll be running 10km of the Tely 10 route with a couple of friends (maybe a new tradition?). As a result, I decided to make my hot cross buns today so that I wouldn't have to worry about them tomorrow. Instead, following our run, I'll have the rest of the day to spend with the family. 


I've tried a number of different recipes, but this one I used today, is very good. I got it from allrecipes.com. Rather than use the recipe for the icing (I find it never makes a good cross), I used the leftover icing from our bunny cakes and added in a little orange juice. They were a big hit with everyone. Yummy!


Mmmmm good - just out of the oven!

1 comment:

  1. Yes Jennifer I can say that your hot cross buns were yummy, in fact they were the best I have ever eaten, all three of them.!! Thoroughly enjoyed our visit with you yesterday, a nice reprieve from shopping. I also liked the Easter craft you made with Charlotte. Very nice indeed.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete