Wednesday, May 9, 2012

No Mommy, let me show you

Boy, do I hear that a lot. I pride myself on being an independent person. I've never been a fragile wallflower. I'll get my hands dirty as the next person in order to get things done. If there's something I don't know, it's usually, I'll admit, so I don't have to know. While I'm all for women's equality, it's sometimes nice not to know something so the man in the house can look after it instead. That's one reason why I don't know how to use the snowblower. Know how to use it, there's no excuse not to.  I'm pretty good with electronics. Again, while I don't run to find out how to change the TV over to the playstation, I do know how to do it.

Well, on the weekend, I was shown, by my three year old, how to use the ipad. In my defence, I only had it in my hand for a second and hadn't really had the chance to look to see what had to be done before it was taken from my hands and the words "no Mommy. let me show you" were spoken. As she clicked and swiped her fingers on the screen, she opened up the app she needed to get her game to work. I just sat there, speechless, as well, there wasn't much to say. I had just been put in my place (not for the first or last time) by my three year old daughter.  She knew exactly what to do and proceeded to show me what apps she uses, how to search for new apps, how to open up itunes and play her music and well, do just as much on it as I can do.

The scary part is that this is only the beginning. When I look back on what has happened in the past 20 years with computers and technology, I can't even imagine on what the next 20+ years brings. I like to think I'll remain relatively in the know, but if I'm honest with myself, I'll be calling Charlotte and Harrison in 20 years time asking them for help.

As for now, I'll accept Charlotte's help. I love Charlotte's independence and always will. She's like me in that respect. She does everything herself (most of the time) and it's what makes her the wonderful little girl that she is. Yes, it's sometimes hard not to stop her from doing some of the things she does, but I keep telling myself that it's her way of figuring things out. Like her need to either be constantly changing her clothes or being clothes free (except for panties). Maybe she's either planning on opening a nudist colony or being a fashion guru. Whatever she does (preferably the latter), the important thing is that she's happy.

Charlotte in her usual ensemble, playing on the ipod

No comments:

Post a Comment